Tumblr URL: skij or AO3 (http://archiveofourown.org/users/Jiksa)
Fandom: Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance (with some mention of All Time Low, Panic at the Disco and a few other bands)
Genre: One shot, drama, romance, hurt/comfort, hiatus!fic
Pairings: Patrick Stump/Pete Wentz and Patrick Stump/Ray Toro
Rating: MA or NC17
Warnings: Smut. Hurt/comfort. Cheating.
Current length: 19 000 words, give or take.
Title: You Shouldn’t Go With Him (When You Could Have Had Me)
Bio: It’s been months since they put the band on hold and Patrick is still entirely out of things to say to Pete. He’s just starting a new relationship with Ray and recording his solo album in Chicago. Then, out of nowhere, Pete starts texting him song lyrics and everything unravels.
What you wish the beta reader to help you with: grammar, consistency, structure, character development.
Tumblr URL: whostolemyideaforurl
Genre: Romance, drama
Rating: R - graphic depictions of voilence, injuries and smut
Warnings: Written above, minor character death
Current length: 18k words/6 chapters
Predicted end length: 30k+ words/15 chapters
Title: The World Is Your Natural Element
Bio: Stucky Time traveller’s wife!AU, in which Bucky is Henry and Steve is Clare. However, the plot is very loosely based on the book so it’s not necessary for a beta to read it.
What you wish the beta reader to help you with: Grammar and spelling, since I’m not a native speaker, and to help me with anything that they don’t like about my writing. Also, I am looking for a beta who’s honest and will yell at me if I write something extremely stupid.
Tumblr URL: thephoenixwriter
Genre: Science Fiction/Paranormal
Rating: T (some cursing and violence)
Current length: 76,000 words
Title: The Phoenix Squad
Bio: Chuck starts college with the intent of having a normal, mundane life. Never mind the fact that he has the ability to move things with his mind and read people’s thoughts. Chuck stumbles upon a plan for paranormal supremacy. A rash decision puts him right in the middle of a burgeoning shadow war. In the middle of the chaos, a new ability pops up, one that unearths an unnerving family secret. Chuck has to decide whether to take on this threat to humanity or let this conspiracy run its course, all while navigating through college.
What you wish the beta reader to help you with: Grammatical/Syntax errors, flow, dialogue, description, character development, and general thoughts (what you like/don’t like). Whichever play to the beta reader’s strengths.
Hey Crime Writers - don’t just have your detectives say bland things like “the fingerprints matched” - use correct terminology and make your writing precise. Here’s a cool little fingerprint chart to get you started.
27 skin tones, five descriptions each, no cannibalism required.
#F2DCC7: Coral Cloud, Desert Bone, Florence Marble, Sand Trap, Sunwashed Beach
#E1C3A7: Dust Bunny, Homespun Linen, Snail Shell, Tumbleweed Tan, Washed Khaki
#E8B290: Approaching Autumn, Copper Dust, Coral Coast, Rambling Rose, Wickerwork
#DC9B85: Beach Treasure, Desert Dawn, Opal Fire, Rosy Coral, Warm Autumn
#D1937C: Autumn Fern, Earthen Trail, Rosedust, Rustic Pottery, Sienna Brown
#D87F85: Bird of Paradise, Coming Up Roses, Love Potion, Pacific Sunset, Pink Flamingo
#C98560: Copper Wire, Ember Glow, Fall Foliage, Georgian Leather, Wash of Rust
#B3754E: Cinnabar, Clay Vessel, Fallen Leaf, Leather Jacket, Pale Russet
#924517: Brick Dust, Copper Starfire, Grecian Bronze, Ochre Brown, Tinder Box
Tumblr URL: i-shotdasheriff
Original Stories: Y
Fandom(s): Twilight, Harry Potter, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Anne of Green Gables Series, Star Wars, The Iron Fey Series, anything Disney, Sailor Moon, Hunger Games, Divergent Series, Camp Rock
Preference: Romance, Drama, Action, Angst, Canon characters
Refused Content: I will beta pretty much anything, but just ask if you think you have questionable content.
Strengths: Spelling, sentence structure, continuity, grammar, characterization
Weaknesses: Plot (Ideas)
Previous stories written (if any): The Bet- Twilight, Enigma- Twilight, A Different World- Anne of Green Gables
Previous stories beta’d (if any): Aysu aka Moonwater by angelari7- Twilight, I Would Never by Mrs.Cullen72400- Twilight
Anything else you want to say? I like to use e-mail, and docx on Fanfiction.net.
Keeping a character’s voice consistent throughout a book can be a challenge. There are a multitude of factors to maintaining a character’s voice. Keep in mind that as the character develops, the voice doesn’t change. A character’s voice at its core can best be described as a character’s personality. Here are a few factors for you to consider:
- Social class
- Extrovert or introvert
- Sense of humor or seriousness
- Long sentences or short, crisp ones
- Impulsive or logical
- How character views surroundings
- How character makes decisions
- What character observes first
And many, many more…
Let me use my character, Amelia Gareth from When Stars Die, to give you an example of voice consistency by answering some of the points above.
- Social class: Amelia comes from the upper class in the 19th century, so when she speaks or narrates, her exposition and dialogue are going to have a formality to them that someone from the lower class wouldn’t have.
- Intelligence: Amelia is sharp, so when she is in a situation that demands an immediate answer, she is able to come up with one, no matter how impulsive or illogical it may be. She has to be intelligent to survive in her world.
- Background: Before Amelia came to Cathedral Reims, she mostly lived at her manor, hardly venturing outside, so she isn’t very worldly. Even at Cathedral Reims she is confined and only allowed certain knowledge taught by the nuns. So the cathedral suppresses her chances at personal development. Thus, her actions and dialogue are going to mirror this lack of worldliness, so she often comes off as immature.
- Extrovert or Introvert: Amelia is an extrovert. She wants to be around people. She wants friends, as she didn’t have many at home. She is fiercely protective of her younger brother and will do whatever it takes to protect him. She also isn’t afraid to voice her feelings when she finds something disagreeable. She’s terrified of ending up alone. She is concerned with her external world.
- Long sentences or short, crisp ones. Amelia might fall somewhere in between. She exists in the 19th century, so brevity wasn’t too much of a thing. If you’ve ever read books published in the 19th century, you’ll know this. However, her voice had to be adjusted for a more modern audience, so she can’t be too wordy. But her thought process isn’t clipped. It’s detailed.
- Impulsive or logical: Due to her background, she is impulsive. She is about her happiness, about protecting her younger brother. When either of these things are threatened, she doesn’t think logically to find a solution.
- Surroundings: When Amelia views her surroundings, she views them in detail. When the story begins, she has only been at the cathedral for three years, so she has been trapped in her manor for fifteen, so it’s like the world is new to her.
- Decisions: She’s never been confronted with the harsh realities of life, so, as stated above, her decisions are impulsive.
- Observations: Because of what she’s gone through, she’ll note the negative things first. Witches are despised in her world, so she’ll generally relate that negativity to the state of the world overall. When she can’t find anything negative, she’ll note the positive, but she’ll think of a crisp, blue sky as something that shouldn’t be there because of the world she lives in.
- Sense of humor or seriousness: You can probably tell Amelia is serious. There is a lot going against her, so she feels like she cannot relax.
So when doing a character outline for voice, keep these things in mind and anything else you can think of to keep your character’s voice consistent. Refer to this outline constantly. Step into your character’s shoes and ask, “How would she/he react? How would he/she respond to a character telling him/her something?” And so on and so forth. Also, if it has been a couple of days since you’ve last written, read the previous few pages to get back into your character’s voice. Simply put, become your character.
Tumblr URL: i-shotdasheriff
Genre: Romance & Drama
Pairings: Bella/Jacob, Bella/Edward
Rating: T, may change to M
Current length: 16 Chapters, 19K words
Predicted end length: 20+ Chapters
Bio: Bella is excited when she receives her acceptance into the Volterra Academy of the Arts & Sciences. After a hard decision of leaving Jacob behind, who has just professed his love for her, she arrives in Italy where she is welcomed by the Volturi and Edward, who rule the school. Bella finds herself falling for the charming Edward but soon realizes that all that glitters is not gold.
What you wish the beta reader to help you with: I am mostly looking for someone to give me plot ideas, because I’ve had this story on hiatus for quite some time as a result of me not being able to decide what happens next. Also proofreading and revision.
Link (if any of it has already been posted): Here
Tumblr URL: Elysian-Perish
Original Stories: Yes
Fandom(s): Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Pokémon and Vocaloid.
Preference: Romance, Drama, Tragedy, Hurt/Comfort, Angst, Adventure, Fantasy.
Refused Content: Pedophilia, necrophilia, scat and ageplay.
Strengths: Characterisation, grammar and style consistency.
Weaknesses: Subtle plot holes.
Previous stories written (if any): N/A.
Previous stories beta’d (if any): N/A.
Anything else you want to say? I am looking to improve as a writer and as an editor, so I was hoping applying for a position as a better would allow me to do so as well as helping others with their writing.
Tumblr URL: TheStanceyG
Original Stories: Y
Fandom(s): Sherlock, Doctor Who, Harry Potter
Preference: AU, romance, humor, happy endings
Refused Content: song fics, extreme angst
Strengths: grammar, research, character development
Weaknesses: cannon minutia
Previous stories written (if any): A Long Time Coming (Sherlock)
Previous stories beta’d (if any): None
Anything else you want to say? I was a middle school/high school English teacher for 10 years. During that time I taught seniors how to write academic research papers and co-sponsored the creative writing club. I promise not to be all “teacher-y” on you unless that’s what you want/need. Contact me on tumblr and I will send you my email if I think we would work well together.