Tumblr URL: loveliptonteenovel
Original Stories: Y - I love reading original stories
Fandoms: None, sorry. I do watch Walking Dead and True Blood and Orange is the New Black, but I’m not really deep into them.
Preference: Romance, Suspense/Mystery, YA, almost all genres except what’s listed below.
Refused Content: Sci-Fi/Fantasy - it’s not my normal genre to read so it will be hard for me to critique and give feedback. Erotic/overly sexual pieces - some sex scenes are fine, but not too much as typically when I’m reading I skip those scenes (I won’t for the beta reading but I mean in regular novel reading), songs
Strengths: Pulling out paragraphs or sentences that are confusing, editing and overall critique, flow, etc.
Weaknesses: Grammar - I wouldn’t call it a weakness it’s just that I can’t guarantee that I will catch every grammar mistake.
Previous stories written: plenty of fanfic when I was younger, a few of my own personal novels - none that are posted on Tumblr. The fanfics were posted on a website but I took it down
Previous stories beta’d: I haven’t beta’d anything on Tumblr before but I am currently working with someone to help them with a story they plan on posting.
Anything else you want to say? I am willing to read a full novel or a few chapters, but please just allow me time to do so based on the length of the piece you send. Once contacted we can discuss the best method of communication. I like to go through each chapter and make corrections or suggestion and then do an overview of the chapter, instead of waiting until the end of the entire work to make a comment. Also if you have a particular element of your piece you’d like for me to review let me know and I’ll make sure I look out for that. I also always try to give positive suggestions and any suggestions that I do make I always give a reason for it. I’m also really nice lol :)
Tumblr URL: chuckylover911
Genre: drama, friendship
Warnings: Brief mentions of death/suicide
Current length: 1k words (one shot)
Title: Are We Still… Good?
Bio: The story continues after Si and Mo walk home together after witnessing the psychotic boy that’s been causing them both a lot of grief leap in front of a train. Mo is still unsure where he stands with Si. Are they still friends or does Si want nothing to do with him?
What you wish the beta reader to help you with: Grammar. Comma placement is a weakness of mine and I’m sure I left a lot of things to be corrected punctuation wise. Maybe some help involving word use, and sentence structure. I’m open to any suggestions you may have.
Tumblr URL: Kickassgard
Fandom: Doctor Who
Pairing: Tenth Doctor/Rose Tyler
Warnings: Some mature content, spoilers up to S2 “New Earth”
Current length: 7000 words
Predicted end length: 10000 words at the least
Bio: In an attempt to submerge himself in adventure and intrigue, the Doctor accidentally drops Rose and himself off in a new setting that quickly escalates into a trip the Doctor could have done without.
What you wish the beta reader to help you with: Grammar is my biggest weakness but also I might need help with story structure and whatever else I do horribly wrong.
Sure! I’ve actually had a lot of thoughts about soulmates recently, so this is a good opportunity. My basic feeling about soulmate stories is that they shouldn’t be as light, fluffy, and easy as they often are. The first reason is because conflict generates interest (which is why true utopias are so boring to read about) and the second reason is because life is hard. So here are some tips…
- Do not stop their development as a couple. Their time together will change the nature of their relationship. Put the realization towards the beginning or middle of the story so you can explore how being together causes them to see the world differently.
- Open the attachment to other forms of love. For example, squishes and friendship. Also make the attachment open to more than two individuals in the case of polyamory or a group of really close friends or something.
- Let the couple have differences. It seems that a lot of soulmate couples just click within their first few dates and it’s all sunshine and rainbows from thereon out. You can still fight with someone and love them. You can have long-standing disagreements with someone (and not just those cutesy disagreements like who saw who first) and still love them. I know a couple that can’t stand each other during election season. After the election is over, they get back together like nothing happened. Even though they’re on different sides of the political spectrum, their love and mutual interests on other issues overcomes politics.
- Don’t cure things with soulmates. Finding your soulmate should not cure things like addiction, self destructive behavior, or mental illness. It should not instantly iron out personality flaws. While a soulmate can be part of the healing process, they should not be the sole cause of their partner’s recovery.
- Let people have relationships outside their soulmates. People don’t need to wait until they meet their soulmate to have meaningful relationships or do things you’re supposed to “save until marriage”. Even in a soulmate world, you should be able to go on dates with non-soulmates and have one night stands with other people. At the very least, I’m sure people want to figure out this dating nonsense before they try anything with their soulmate.
- What about missing soulmates? Your soulmate could die young, fall in love with someone else, or seem utterly disappointing. Your soulmate could be a farmer in the American Midwest while you are a herder in rural Mongolia. Your soulmate could have been born in the 1800s. You could give up waiting for your soulmate and choose someone else who you are still really happy with.
- Finally. I’ve noticed that a lot of soulmate AU ideas on Tumblr involve your soulmate’s name somewhere on your body or a clock on your wrist counting down the minutes until you met them or some other clue as to when you will meet The One. Break that system.
Tumblr URL: veraca
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Drama
Pairings: Original Charaters, Boy’s Love
Warnings: Boy’s Love
Current length: 120k+ words
Predicted end length: Unknown
Title: Nearly There Nicely
A young man was forgotten by his father, and suddenly is forced to learn the truth about the world. He meets up with several interesting people, gods, and struggles to regain his footing. Along the way he just might fall in love.
If you have problems focusing while you write, try using ILYS.
The site is coded so that you can’t see what you are writing, only the last letter, and you can’t edit anything until you get to your words goal.
This means you have to focus on writing and what’s on your mind, and not the editing of what you have written so far.
You have to write or you can’t edit.
Once you hit your goal you can edit and write normally, or go back and use ilys once again.
Since you don’t have to worry about editing, you can let your creativity flows.
It can be frustrating, but it’s also liberating because you have to let it go.
Write first, edit later.
Tumblr URL: homosexualiens
Languages: English, minimal French
Original Stories: N
Fandoms: Marvel (The Avengers), Merlin, Sherlock (TV), Star Trek (2009 + Into Darkness), Supernatural, Tolkienverse. I can also do grammar / spelling / overall flow for other television and movie fandoms.
Preference: M/M (but I will read all pairings)
Refused Content: anything under 3K (songfics, poetry, drabbles, etc), Anime, Disney, RPF, omegaverse, mpreg (with the exception of pregnant Loki), parent/child incest (I will accept sibling incest).
Strengths: I am very good with spelling, grammar and punctuation but what I really love is helping with the overall flow, plot and characterization.
Weaknesses: Brit-picking (I can do the basic “crisps not chips” sort of thing), sex scenes.
Previous stories written: I am currently working on a Thor / Loki fic that I intend to post on AO3 sometime this year.
Previous stories beta’d: N/A
Anything else you want to say? I am a very friendly, non-judgemental person - however, if you chose me to be your beta reader, you should know that I will be absolutely honest with you (without being intentionally rude or offensive). I am happy to read anything that is not listed in my ‘restricted content’; self-harm, eating disorders, other mental illnesses, sexual abuse (as long as it isn’t being glorified), watersports, incest, and whatever other kinks you can come up with.
Fill in the story bio, and we’ll post and tag it appropriately so people see it :)